The content of the grade twelve English program deviates the most from the criteria which has previously been noted.
This course has its basic intent on developing skills to research and write resultant research papers. We work with a few tools: a basic work book and manual counterpart as well as the MLA Handbook. We have chosen this handbook as a guide for a style format after carefully questioning graduates of our own secondary school as well as others. We also have checked with colleges and universities to determine which format they use most frequently .
During the semester eight assigned papers are required: These a include a myriad of possible topical interest:
1. Development of a personal vitae
2. Investigations into three schools of higher learning as related to career choices
3. Study of an aspect of Evangeline by Longfellow
4. Study of an aspect of Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare
5. Study of an aspect of Merchant and Venice by Shakespeare
6. Development of both sides of a controversial question
7. Review of a book utilizing others’ reviews as well as personal evaluation
8. Research of a topic particularly engrossing to writer
It may be noted that in-depth studies of the literature studies as well as examinations parallel those topic areas.
Class- instigated vocabulary lists add a different flavor to the course. Various teams bring lists of words to their class mates each week. Teacher-created tests finish these weekly presentations.
The second semester of this program focuses on speech. Each student is required to present sixteen speeches of various types. Each student must evaluate everyone of his peers’ speeches giving a grade for each by using a standardized format. The instructor culls all these evaluations; she then types them using an anonymous procedure and returns the comments to each student. A grade manufactured from instructor’s evaluation and students’ evaluation is then attributed to each speech.
In addition each student is required to participate in the school announcement program throughout the entire year. This work is factored into the final grade. Studies of individual speech types proceed each speech. Research on most topics is required and documented on speech outlines. Tests are also given to ascertain if the speech course content has become clear.